Wednesday, May 14, 2008

End of Nothing...Beginning of Everything

Ten years ago today people were talking about nothing...or at least a show about nothing. Friday May 15, 1998 was the day after the final first run episode of the sit-com "Seinfeld." There hadn't been as much public conversation about the ending of TV show since Carson left the Tonight Show 7 years earlier.

I listened to the talk radio station as I drove to Philadelphia that afternoon. Callers & Hosts were discussing the last Seinfeld show. Ironically I was on my way to do something that, as any Seinfeld fan could tell you, had served as a plot line for a few several episodes. I was picking someone up at the airport.

But unlike Jerry & friends I wasn't just picking up someone returning from a trip. This was a very historic rendezvous in my life. I was meeting for the first time face to face someone who had and would continue to change my life, Paula, who is now my wife.

We had met online in an AOL chat room 6 months earlier. After 1/2 a year of emails, instant messages, hours on the phone (you wouldn't believe the long distance bills) and post office box correspondence Paula took a step of faith and bought a plane ticket to come to visit me. This would be our first date.

Inside the airport I anxously waited as they announced the arrival of her flight. She was the last one to come through the gate. For a few moments I thought she'd changed her mind. But when I saw her walk through that door it was a dream come true for me. I can't say it was love at first sight because I loved her before I had ever actually saw her.

As we hugged at the gate she gave me a copy of the May issue of Rolling Stone magazine. On the cover was the Seinfeld cast dressed as characters from the movie The Wizard of Oz. That movie was a very key element in the start of our online relationship. There's a picture of that magazine cover at the beginning of this post.

We were both very excited and nervous. Standing at the baggage claim carousel watching her as we waited for her luggage was an extremely surreal moment. With suitcases in hand we made our way to the parking garage. I loaded her bags in the back of my minivan. Before I opened the passenger door, our eyes met and we both smiled. At that point in my mind the music cue began, I put my arms around her and right there in the airport parking garage we shared our first kiss.

The rest of the weekend was wonderful. I won't go into any great detail. However I will go as far as to tell you, despite the need to call a tow truck and over half a dozens meals eaten at Denny's, it left us with memories that will always be special.

So on that May Friday in Philadelphia, 10 years ago today, I wasn't thinking of a show about "nothing." My eyes and heart were fixed on Paula from Kentucky. From the first time I saw her I knew she was the beginning of everything in my life from that day on. Happy Anniversary Sweetheart. You are the Love of My Life.

No comments: