Saturday, May 17, 2008

Free Cell: The Impossible Quest

Larry The Cable Guy tells a joke that's a great way to start out this post. He says, "I got me a new computer last month. The only thing I can do on it is play solitaire. I might as well have gone out and bought a $1500 deck of cards."
I'm not much for playing games on the computer but my wife is. She will spend time just relaxing playing all kinds of games. Of course most nights after dinner I want to spend time with my wife. So I find myself in the computer room checking my email, reading blogs, searching the Internet for something to interest me so I don't get bored while she plays games.
One of the few computer games I like to play is Free Cell solitaire. I find it very challenging and like the fact that every game is winnable if you (pardon the pun) play your cards right. So last week I started a quest that I will probably never finish. I decided to start at game 1 and see how many Free Cell games I can win.
Of course I will never win them all because there's 1 million of them. But just out of curiosity I figured out that I would have to play nearly 100 games a day for 30 years to play them all. That's assuming that I win them on the first try and that's never going to happen.
Anyway after 4 days of playing the games in order I'm up to game 24. I have won 10 games on the first try. It took me 21 tries to win game 10. So from now on most nights you'll find me at my computer playing Free Cell and spending time with my wife.

No comments: