Saturday, May 10, 2008

Painting the Scenery

My son and his fiancé purchased a house yesterday. It’s a small 2 story dwelling with a living room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It’s a great first home for them. Before they move in they intend to paint all the rooms. They divided the choice of colors as a compromise. Each got to chose colors for specific rooms. This is a good first step in building a foundation for their marriage.

Today Paula and I went to help them paint. Heather’s mom was there too already elbow deep in paint. Paula did the edging on the ceilings in the living room and two 2nd floor rooms. This took about 2 hours and involved climbing up and down a small 3-step ladder quite a few times.

I didn’t help anywhere near as much but I did manage to paint a couple of the walls in the living room. As I applied the paint to the walls I couldn’t help but think about the promise that accompanied each stroke.

The paint will add ambience to a home where their marriage will live and grow. This young couple stands at the starting line of the next phase of life. A course the will run together.

I felt like a member of a theater stage crew preparing the scenery for their new life. Tomorrow we’ll go back and continue coating the walls with the colors they’ve chosen. When the painting is finished it will be time to move in their furniture and set up a household. My prayer is that God will bless them and their marriage.

I’d better stop now or else I won’t have anything left to write about when they get married in October. But I do have one last thought about that new house. Right now it may look like it’s empty but after being with Michael & Heather today I can tell you it’s already filled with excitement, anticipation, and hope.

No comments: