Wednesday, June 18, 2008

America's Newest Little Sweetheart

Last evening for lack of anything else on television (500 channels and nothing to watch) my wife and I decided to watch the season opening show of NBC's America's Got Talent. Am I glad we did. On that show was one of the most darling, brave and talented little 4 year old girls I've ever seen.

Kaitlyn Maher, a little girl who "just turned 4", gave a singing performance that would be difficult for someone 10 times her age to top. When judge Sharon Ozborne asked her where she was from she emphatically declared "I'm from America" in her very sweet voice. That voice went on to sing the song "Somewhere Out There" from the movie "An American Tail." Her voice, confidence, composure and that slight little head tilt brought the audience to their feet and tears to both my wife and my eyes.

As many of you know I teach 4, 5 & 6 year old children at my church and I've met several very sweet and charming children in my classroom. However this little girl is blessed with a sweetness only God can give.
I don't want to go on too much but she was so adorable that I have to recommend you go look at the partial clip of her performance on NBC's website. Just go to NBC.com, click on "shows" at the top of the page. When the list of shows comes up alphabetically choose "America's Got Talent" The video of Kaitlyn's performance is listed among the other contestants. Don't waste your time with anyone else (except perhaps Neil Boyd, who may go on to win it all) they all pale in comparison to the 4 year old.

Kaitlyn was given a unanimous "yes" by the judges and advances to the next round of the "America's Got Talent" competition in Las Vegas. She's the youngest contestant to make it this far. She's so sweet and talented that she may go pretty far in the competition. My only thought is I'm glad I'm not the person who may some day in the future have to tell this sweetie she is going home. As far as I'm concern she may be just one of many remaining contestants on "America's Got Talent" but she's the front runner for the title of "America's Newest Little Sweetheart."

No comments: