Monday, June 9, 2008

The Reading Bug Performance


Today was the day I've been practicing for for the last 2 weeks. It was the day of my performance at our town library. According to the words on the flier they distributed for publicity I was the "premier performer" at the kickoff festival for the summer reading program. It was my job to entertain the children while encouraging them to "catch the reading bug."
There were between 50 & 75 children there and about a dozen adults. It was by far the biggest audience I've had for any of my 3 library performances so far.
I premiered a new character by the name of Schnozz. (at the right with the orange hair) He's from a South Pacific island named Proboscus. He greeted the children with a phrase in his native language which means "The bigger the nose the better you smell." He told a knock knock joke which got a lot of laughs.
My wife took some great pictures and I will use them in the near future when I start doing some self promotion. Everyone seemed to enjoy visiting with Schnozz and the other puppet I used, Cecil the turtle.
This appearance brings to a close a string of 6 ventriloquist performances in 8 days. I plan to continue to write material and practice it everyday to get better. Because of the response I've gotten from younger children I may start looking to find work at birthday parties. I'll let you know what happens with that effort.

No comments: