Sunday, June 8, 2008

Requesting Prayer For James

I know there's a standing request on this blog to pray for our son, James, while he's on active duty in Baghdad. However today I would like to request that you especially remember him in your prayers.

This afternoon just after we got home from church James called us. It was about 8:30 PM Sunday evening in Baghdad. I answered the phone. He sounded very tired and slightly emotional. I asked him how he was doing and he told me that he had had a "rough day." Knowing that he's not supposed to give details over the phone I offered some questioning suggestions about just what his "rough day" involved. He assured me that he was okay and no one in his platoon was hurt. Then he told me "things had happened today that will stay with me the rest of my life"

I told him that from what I had seen and heard about experiences of other soldiers not only in Iraq but in other wars everyone has life changing experiences. I told him we understood and would always be there to support him.

After talking with me for a while he talked with Paula. I didn't hear the details of their conversation. From what Paula told me he shared the same sentiments regarding his "rough day" with him.

I realize there are a lot of things that could happen over there so I'm not going to begin to let my mind wander through the emotional minefield of speculation about what happened to James today. All I know is that from the inflection and emotional stress in his voice he has been profoundly affected by it.

So if you are reading this post the day it's posted or within a week or so after please pray some extra special prayers for our son. He's at the start of a very long and tough journey over there. As always, but especially today, I pray that God will be with him, protect, comfort, and draw near to him. Please join us and take the time today to pray for James. God Bless You for your prayers.

No comments: