Friday, August 29, 2008

Another Member Of The Cast

Here’s a picture of a puppet made by a company called “Folkmanis.” They make a wide variety of realistic looking animal puppets. I found this one for sale at our local Parent Teacher store the other day. I bought it because it’s the type of glove puppet that I’ve been looking for to develop a character for my ventriloquist act.

Inspired by part of the act of one of my favorite ventriloquists, Taylor Mason, I am going to use this flying squirrel puppet, still nameless for now, as part of my program. I’m going to use him to demonstrate to kids, and in some cases adults, to set aside their fears and rely on their faith and trust in God to do what He wants them to do. In the squirrel’s case he would have a fear of flying.

Those are my plans for the puppet. However when I showed the critter to my wife, Paula, she absolutely loved it. Several times after I brought it home she picked it up and started playing with it. She was giving it personality and attitude as she discovered what kind of cool movements it could make. “You might have just lost this one,” she told me.

Whether it’s hers or mine I’m sure that the little flying squirrel puppet will find it’s way into my act sometime in the future. Keep watching.

No comments: