Sunday, August 24, 2008

Caught Up In The Draft

Last Friday night I got together with 11 other men from my church for our second annual Fantasy Football League draft. The evening started out with a dinner at a local restaurant. We finally awarded last years initial league champion with his free dinner. I was asked to pray the blessing over the meal. I thanked God for the good food and the fellowship then very boldly asked Him to let me have the first pick in the draft. After the dinner and plenty of stories, punchlines and other banter left the restaurant and headed to our church to get ready for the draft.

In our church office 10 guys huddled around 5 computers which were set up and signed onto the Yahoo Sports webpage for our league. We waited with great anticipation to see who had the first pick. The order of the draft is supposedly chosen randomly. As it turned out the first pick this year went to the same guy as last year. So much for being random. I had the 6th pick.

Although this is my 2nd year playing fantasy football I don't know a whole lot about choosing the right players. I have my favorites and a general idea on who I should look to choose for my team. As I found out last year it's mostly a matter of choosing who you want from who's left when it's your pick.

The draft was really cool and we had a great "male bonding" time doing something that's actually extremely frivolous. We went through 16 rounds of the draft with each of the 12 team's "general manager" getting up to 90 seconds to make their pick. It took us about an hour or so.

The post draft review of every one's picks and their '08 team rosters fostered much speculation about who the winners and the losers will be this season. But they haven't even played a down in the 2008 NFL season so everyone is starting at the same place. We'll have to wait until January to find out who will be this year's league champion.

Oh by the way the name of my fantasy football team? The RH Factor. Sound familiar?

No comments: