Monday, September 15, 2008

Blog Helps Make A "Rainbow Connection"

Do you remember the "Muppet Movie"? Since it's initial 1979 release in theaters a couple of generations of children have enjoyed the film on either video tape or DVD.

As they were growing up used to take my two nieces to see Disney or other children's movie that came to the theater. The Muppet Movie was one of them. The signature song in the beginning of the movie is called "Rainbow Connection." It is sung by Kermit the Frog.

After seeing the movie I used to sing the song with my nieces quite often. We would end the song with it's last lines. "Someday we'll find it the Rainbow Connection. The Lovers, The Dreamers, and Me. To my delight my youngest niece, who as about 4 years old at the time, would always point to herself and end the song with an enthusiastic emphasis on the last 2 words " and Me!"

It is now 33 years later and my niece has 4 children of her own but I still smile whenever I hear "Rainbow Connection" and think of that bright eyed optimistic little girl as she happily realized that the song included her.

As they both grew up I was very close to my nieces and to this day I love them very much. I look back and treasure that I was such a big part of their lives. After I moved to Kentucky I obviously couldn't be a involved on a day to day basis. I really miss that.

Recently I began emailing my new blog posts to my family in Pennsylvania so they can read them without having navigating to my blog web address. My sisters have told me that they really like reading them.

Today I got an email from my 33 year old niece telling me how much she enjoys reading my blog as well. She also said some very sweet things that included the fact that I remind her of my dad.

That email and every other response I get from friends or family about my posts makes writing this blog worth it.

I wrote back to my niece and thanked her for her words of encouragement and love. I am so glad that this blog not only helps me build some new friendships but it also enables me to renew my family relationships like the one with my neice that will always be associated with "The Rainbow Connection."

No comments: