Sunday, September 21, 2008

Once Again On Sunday

After singing and doing ventriloquism at the "Street Party For Jesus" yesterday my wife and I did the same thing today but it was in a different place and in a different way.

We both ministered during our Sunday morning worship service at church. Paula sang twice during the service. She was part of the church choir that opened the service with a song and later she sang as part of a quartet. Four ladies sang a barbershop version of the song "This Little Light of Mine." It was unique arrangement and a different type of musical style for our church but was well done. My wife said afterward everyone kept asking her the same question. If all the singers are female shouldn't they be called a "beauty shop quartet?"

My ventriloquist sketch came just after the choir sang it's song. The sketch was to promote the church picnic next week. The performance was sort of a milestone in my career as a ventriloquist. It was the first time I'd used 2 character voices in the same sketch. I still only used one puppet though. I used second voice for the microphone. I gave the mic a Spanish accent and used an old bit from the old time radio shows made famous by Mel Blanc, the voice of all the great Looney Tunes characters.

Over the course of the last couple of days I had made a lot of changes to my sketch. The one I performed used the premise of the original script but only a little of the dialogue. I kept a couple of jokes from the original and added a few more.
Seems most of my sketches go through a process of change between the initial writing of the script and the final performance. That's what makes practicing so important. I need to be able to settle on a final version of the sketch in time to memorize it for the performance.

Anyway it was an interesting weekend for my wife and I. We both got to minister to people in two different situations. Again, I'm thankful to The Lord for the opportunities for both of us. God willing I look forward to more in the future.

No comments: