Saturday, September 6, 2008

Scale Mystery Solved

Well what seemed to be a big problem (no pun intended) just 3 short days ago is now resolved. The number I needed to know, my weight, is no longer a mystery.

I had an appointment with a dietitian this past Thursday afternoon. Her name was Sarah. We had some good discussion about diets and nutrition. I told her my story about going to the hospital to find a scale. She then told me that the scale in her office would be able to weigh me. I got on it and had my number.

Before I left her office I also had a new weight loss diet plan and guidelines for better nutrition. She set my daily caloric intake at a level that would have me losing a pound a week. I told her that I could very easily cut another 500 calories a day and shoot for the goal of 2 pounds a week.

Of course this means I have to stop eating all the cookies, cakes, candy bars, and other sweet things I’ve been indulging in over the last 2 years. I guess that means anyone with Wendy’s or McDonald’s stock should sell because their Frosty and McFlurry sales are going to plummet.

Friday, I received my new bathroom scale from the Living XL catalog. The UPS shipping time was a lot quicker than I had expected. It’s a very nice scale and works very well. It talks. At first I didn’t think I’d like the voice feature and planned on disabling it off even before I used it. But hearing the number is rather convenient for me. I’ll use the scale to track my weight over the next month. Also I’ll take it with me when I go back to the doctor in October so I can weigh in at his office.

Now as far as starting the new diet plan is concerned. Next week my wife goes to see her doctor to get her 6 month weight loss effort started. She’ll also have to go see the same dietitian I did. I’m going to wait until she does that so we can start our new diets together. Besides next week is my birthday and I want to have some cake.

But it looks like all things are in place now for me to start down the road that will lead to lap band surgery. Along the way I will focus on developing good attitudes and habits when it comes to eating.

A lot of it will come from the renewing of my heart and how I look at my life. I must always consider myself a living sacrifice to The Lord. I must work to get and keep my body and my spirit in the condition they are most useful to Him and the work He wants to do through me. I must depend on the Holy Spirit to help me.

It is only with that kind of faith and those principals that I will be successful in finally losing weight and becoming a healthy person for the first time in my adult life. Please pray for both my wife and me. We’re going to need it.

No comments: