Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Simple Problem Becomes A Complex Issue

As I wrote yesterday I went to see my doctor to start a supervised weight loss effort on the way to getting gastric lap band surgery. Although it's an aspect of any doctor visit; getting on the scale and finding out my present weight was very important during this visit. This proved to be a problem for me.

The balance scale in my doctor's office could not accurately measure my weight. I am not very proud to have to admit that what I weigh is beyond their scale's measurement capacity but it's a fact. Because a starting weight record is necessary to track my weight loss effort getting weighed was a key action in the purpose for my visit. I told the nurse and subsequently the doctor that I knew of a place where I could go to get weighed accurately. I would have to get a nurse or physician's assistant to write the number down and sign it so I have "official" documentation for my insurance company.

I left the office and went to the local immediate care clinic because that was where I had gotten weighed in the past. After some explaining they allowed me to step on their digital scale. The problems was that scale couldn't weigh me either.

Having not considered the possibility that the clinic wouldn't be able to help me I was confounded about where to go to get the all important initial record I needed. I was close to a local hospital so I decided to try the out patient surgery department. I was pretty sure they could help me. I'd stepped on scales in that hospital before while visiting some one there. I simply planned on going into the department, ask to step on their scale, get the record documented and leaving. It wasn't that easy by any means.

The woman at the out patient registration desk told me that they would need an order from my doctor to do what I asked. I called my doctor and had the nurse fax over an order requesting 6 once a month weigh ins. Upon receiving the order I was sent to out patient registration. The clerk there was very nice and reassuring. She got on the phone and began trying to find out 2 things. The first was whether there was a scale that would weigh me correctly. Second what kind of billing was going to have to be done for this service.

The first question was answered rather quickly. After only a couple of phone calls a scale was found. The next 30 minutes was spent waiting for an answer as to how I should be charged for the service. The clerk advised me that whatever the answer to the billing problem would be my insurance company would probably not pay for it.

Soon I realized that the people in this hospital while they may have been willing to just help me were bound by the procedures of the hospital. I couldn't believe what a problem the simple thing I was asking for was for the hospital staff. Nothing is free especially in the world of health care.

As I sat there waiting for an answer my mind began to speculate what the cost might turn out to be. I calculated a minimal charge of $50 per visit over the next 6 months. I thought that to be a reasonable assumption because the services of a nurse or hospital worker and use of the facilities would be involved. That's a total of $300. $300 just to get weighed!

Now no one is to blame for my situation than me. If I wasn't the weight I am I wouldn't have the problem with the scales. But I considered charging me for this simple service was taking advantage of someone who was trying to help himself.

A few months ago I got a catalog in the mail called "XL Living." It was full of merchandise made especially for people who are living their lives as an "extra large" person. In that catalog were bathroom scales that had a higher than usual weight capacity. I didn't remember the price of these scales but I was sure it was a lot less than $300.

I decided that I would order the scale and just take it with me whenever I go to the doctor or need to get weighed. I got up from my chair and thanked the registration clerk for her time and help. I told her I was going to take care of the issue another way.

On my way out of the hospital as I walked through the out patient surgery waiting room I ironically saw at least 2 people who, from my visual estimate, would be in the same situation as I was should they need to know their weight.

The problem of people being overweight to the point of obesity is the topic of continual conversation in today's media. It is a fact that the percentage of people who are excessively overweight is higher today than ever before. Three of the health care facilities I went to: a private practice, an urgent care clinic, and a hospital did not have the capacity for dealing with something as simple as finding the weight of someone over 350 pounds. That's amazing to me.

Anyway, I came home, got online, and purchased a scale that will allow me to weigh myself whenever I need or want to. I'm thankful that I found a solution to this very frustrating problem for myself for about 67% less than I would have paid at the hospital.

It was an interesting adventure in the world of health care. I can only conclude that this experience is just another fortification of the reasons to keep working on getting my weight under control and becoming healthier.

No comments: