Monday, October 27, 2008

A Trip To Toastmasters

Tonight I did something I've wanted to try for a couple of months. I went to local meeting of an organization called "Toastmaster." It's a national organization with local chapters designed to help an individual improve their public speaking confidence and skills.

Our local chapters is called the "Thoroughbred Toastmasters" and it meets in the community education wing of a local hospital. I went there not knowing exactly what to expect. I knew one person there. He's someone I'm familiar with because I worked at the same company as he did about 6 years ago and he currently works in the same division of the company where my wife works. He's the president of the Thoroughbred chapter. Although I hadn't seen him in a while he did remember me. Everyone else was friendly too as they said "hello" and welcomed me.

The meeting had a set agenda and several people had the opportunity to speak in one form or another. Although it was my first time there I was asked to be the timer. It was my job to time the speakers and let them know when their designated time limits were up. I was somewhat impressed with the structure of the meeting and the supportive atmosphere given to everyone who participated or got up in front of the podium to speak. There was polite applause for everyone and a politeness when one speaker turned the meeting over to another.

During the "table talk" portion of the meeting I was asked to speak from my place about what sport I considered to be "America's pass time." I talked about how I thought football was the most popular sport. As evidence I pointed out my frustration with how the coverage of NFL training camps overshadows baseball's pennant races as early as the 2nd week of August each year.

To me the most interesting thing about the meeting was the critique of the speakers by other members of the group. It was done in a very constructive manner. It helped me realize that I could possibly learn to be a better public speaker with their help and the Toastmasters "training program."

What bothered me about the meeting was the difficulty with which they dealt with humor. There didn't seem to be much familiarity with how do deliver a joke. Perhaps the reason their coarse delivery stuck out for me is I do so much of it I take it for granted.

In addition most of the people who got up and spoke were not used to doing it and were obviously nervous with speaking in public. Most did a good job of working through their nervousness to get their points across. I guess that's why they are there. It made me realize I should consider myself blessed for the many opportunities I get to speak in front of a group. However I don't make speeches in front of groups very often and that's what I need to learn from Toastmasters. And perhaps I can teach them a thing or two about the presentation of humor.

I enjoyed my first experience with Toastmasters. I am not totally convinced yet that it is for me but I'm going to give it another try or two. I feel I just might be able to learn from being a member. Only time will tell.

No comments: