Saturday, November 15, 2008

Canine Management

Well here it is Saturday and I’m just now getting the time to sit and write about what my week has been like. Since getting Gavin, our new puppy, on Monday night, life for me and the rest of my household has really changed. I’ve had to devote the majority of my day to puppy and pack management.

What this basically means is that I’ve had to keep Gavin on a leash when he’s in the house to keep him from having “accidents”. I’ve let him run free outside most of the time because he likes to walk around our yard sniffing and finding things to chew on in addition to answering nature’s call. That freedom came to an end this morning when he found a hole in the back right hand corner of our fence and “escaped” for the first time. Luckily I was able to catch him before he got any further than our next door neighbor’s back yard. So until I get the hole closed off or get him a collar to keep him inside the invisible fence, his outside freedom will be limited as well.

The process of getting Gavin included in our little pack with my other two dogs has also required diligence. The first couple of days I allowed the pup and my 2nd youngest but biggest dog, Angel, to play fight whenever they wanted to. They did it in the house and in the yard. I figured they were getting to know each other and were just playing. But I quickly discovered that the constant combat made the puppy very aggressive toward me when I tried to discipline him.

After Tuesday I realized that I needed to keep Angel and Gavin separate as much as possible to limit the fighting. And the times they were together I needed to verbally and physically send the message that fighting will not be tolerated. That message gets through to Angel a lot easier than Gavin. Most of the time I have to tell Angel to get up on the love seat and restrain Gavin by shortening his leash keeping him away from Angel. I also got him a new chew toy and strongly promoted the fact that when he wanted to chew or bite; the toy was the only acceptable vehicle.

Two other key elements that have helped the process of establishing order around here are a daily routine and daily walks.

Since Wednesday I’ve taken Gavin for at least one walk each day. The walks are short because I’m not able to walk long distances right now. So far I’ve only walked him up and down our block. I’m working on being able to go further but it will be a while. He’s perfectly happy with that distance so far and seems to enjoy it. Also we have started taking our other two dogs for walks again. On Wednesday night my wife walked them up and down our block one at a time and on Friday I walked Dory as well. The rainy weather kept us from walking them any more.

The daily routine starts each day between 7 & 8 AM just about the time my wife leaves for work. I let the dogs out of their crates, out into the yard for their morning bathroom break then bring them inside for about an hour. I take Gavin out again before putting him in his crate for about an hour. That routine continues through the day and includes the walks.

So that’s the way things are going with the canine management so far. The house training is going very well. Gavin hasn’t had any “accidents” since Tuesday. I’ve kept a pretty tight schedule in regard to taking him outside. I’ve also been putting him in his crate to give him rest during the day and give me a break.

Things are not anywhere near where they need to be but it’s been less than a week since he’s been here. I’d say so far things are looking pretty promising. I’m sure it’s going to be another month or two before the puppy’s bathroom habits, pecking order of our little pack, and Gavin’s adjustment to living in our home come together and life becomes once again somewhat calm at our house. It’s going to take continued patience and commitment on my part but I’m the one who wanted the puppy so I can’t complain.

No comments: