Saturday, December 27, 2008

Catching Up

Because life moves at a faster pace at this time of the year I found myself looking at the blog this morning and realizing that my last post was 9 days ago. I have fallen behind in my postings. But with Christmas behind us I now have some time to catch you up on what’s happened since my last post.

I’m going to do it through a series of “miniposts.” Hopefully this will catch you up on what I’ve done during this holiday season.

Working The Weekend At ShopNBC
I worked my first full shift in the call center at ShopNBC on Saturday December 20. The first night was easy as I observed for the first 4 hours and only took calls the last 3 hours. My 2nd shift on Sunday was a little more difficult because it was busy with a lot of people calling for Christmas orders. It will take some time to get used to it but I’m sure I’ll enjoy the job.

Christmas Performance Is A Blessing For Me
On Sunday December 21 I presented a Christmas ventriloquist performance at a Baptist church here in town. Most of the members who attend that church are African American and it’s an entirely different atmosphere and culture. While I went there to minister to the children; the entire church ministered to me. The sermon, the children’s program, the choir's song, and the play the ladies of the church performed blessed me more than I had expected. The ladies' play was about a group of woman going to heaven on The Glory Train. I can’t really explain how it was performed but I haven’t laughed in church so much in years. I was really blessed to be there.

Paula Gets Cookin’
During her time off of work Paula has had the time to do something she loves to do. She reestablished her prowess in the kitchen. It started with the Taco Puffs she made for a church Christmas party on December 13th and continued from there through Christmas Eve. Over that time she made peanut butter brownies, beef stew, potato soup, and sugar cookies. They were all delicious. The sugar cookies were very special to me because they were made with my mother’s recipe. She really out did herself in the kitchen this season. She’s a very good cook and her efforts this holiday season was a real blessing to me.

Two Days Of Christmas Shopping
On the Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon before Christmas we did our gift shopping. On Monday, we went to Wal-Mart, The Family Christian Book Store, Barnes & Nobles, Sam’s Club and other places. It was a long evening and were were extremely worn out. However we weren’t done. So Tuesday afternoon we finished up our shopping including buying the gift we gave to each other: a new HD TV for our bedroom. We also stopped by my friend, Brent’s house to give his family their Christmas presents. That was the best part of the entire Christmas shopping experience.

Gavin Has Been Adopted
Ever since I took him to the Humane Society on Friday December 12th, I’ve been watching their website to see if the puppy we used to have, Gavin, was still available. I even stopped by the facility to visit him on December 18th. As of this past Tuesday his picture and listing was gone. That means that Gavin has a new home. It is my prayer that he lives a long and happy life with his new family.

Christmas Eve @ Home
Christmas Eve this year was a little different because James was not home. Early in the afternoon our son, Michael, and daughter-in-law, Heather, came to our house and we spent the evening together. Paula made sugar cookies. We ate potato soup and beef stew for dinner. We played a game on the Play Station 3 called “Buzz.” Michael won all the games but 1. Heather won that one. We also played a round of Scrabble. It was a very different but very enjoyable evening.

Christmas Day 2008
We celebrated Christmas Day at my sister in law’s in town. There we opened gifts and met her usually shy cat named “Penny.” What made the day special was that we all got to talk to James on my cell phone for a total of about 15 minutes. While there were not as many gifts as other years everyone was pleased with what they received. The “hit” gift of the day was the Tom Tom navigation system Michael and Heather got from my sister in law.
We ate ham sandwiches for lunch and then went to see the movie “Four Christmases.” I didn’t like the movie. It was so boring I fell asleep. My wife had to wake me when I started to snore.
We went back to my sister in law’s apartment for dessert and then came home. Paula and I spent the evening together watching the DVD “Horton Hears A Who”. I enjoyed it but it was a very forgettable movie. Christmas 2008 was very different but very enjoyable.

There you have a series of short posts that catch you up on what’s happened since my last post. I hope to get back into a regular routine after the new year begins which means posting on a daily basis. I’d like to wish all my family, friends, and readers a Happy and Safe New Year. It is my prayer that God blesses you and your families in 2009.

No comments: