Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Christmas Performance @ The Daycare


Just one day after it was scheduled I went to our local daycare center around 2:30 this afternoon to do a Christmas ventriloquist performance.

The children were all preschool age so the show was simple. I also shortened it because of their limited attention span. The picture you see of me to the right was taken as part of the show. I was wearing the nose and antlers as part of my Christmas gift to Calvin who is only partially in the picture. Snapping a photo of myself in that outfit gave him what he really wanted for Christmas: "a picture for the front of next year's Christmas card."

The most memorable thing about the experience was what made the children laugh during the show. Calvin was wearing a Santa hat that kept accidentally falling down over his face. When he "blew" the hat out of his face the children cracked up with laughter. I didn't plan on that happening it was just something spontaneous but it made them all laugh.

The show also included all the children standing up, laughing and acting like Santa Claus and singing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas."

It was a quick but effective performance which only lasted about 10 minutes or so. Kids that age are some times a really tough audience. However most of my show was based on sight gags (both planned and unplanned) so they really enjoyed it and that's the most important thing.

No comments: