Sunday, December 7, 2008

Exit Stage Left

It’s been about 7 weeks since I’ve written anything on this blog about my Internet “friend”, Mr. Anonymous. During that time I have corresponded with him about 4 times. I have not mentioned it because I considered the communication between us just between the two of us.

His emails were very insulting and sarcastic in regard to me personally and my spiritual beliefs as a Christian. I did my best to explain what I believed and why I believed it. I also made sure I unveiled the message of the gospel to him so he could make his own choice about his eternal destiny.

Despite his harsh words and his denouncement of everything I am and believe he continued to write back to me. I wasn’t sure why he did it but as long as I had contact with him I felt it my responsibility to share the truth of God’s word with him.

Well today I received an email from him in which he stated that he has finally had enough. He wrote some very encouraging words to me. Even if he was being sarcastic about it I consider what he wrote the nicest things he’s ever written to me. He also decided that there’s no longer a need for us to correspond. To sum it up he stated that my “little world” in which my faith in God and Jesus Christ exists is impregnable as is his determination to never believe. Therefore he stated that there is no further reason to continue to write to each other; and with that he bid me "Adios.”

I wrote him one final reply stating that I will always be praying for him. I also assured him that if he doesn’t repent of his sins one day he will remember everything I shared with him about the gospel. That day will be when God say “sorry I never knew you” and sends him to eternal damnation. I also added that it’s my prayer that that never happens.

So “Mr. Anonymous” has made his exit. I have learned a lot about myself while writing to him. I’d like to believe that I have grown spiritually because of my resilience to his criticisms and my boldness in sharing the gospel with him. I also did my best to be as kind and gentle with him as I could. It wasn't easy. At times all I wanted to do was strike back at him with venomous words that hurt as much or more than his did; but I didn't. I would have never handled his “friendship” the way I did without the help of the Holy Spirit, prayer, and the teachings from God’s word.

If you are dealing with a difficult relationship in your life I would highly recommend that you rely on those three factors. What you learn from them and your obedience to them will help you through it. It worked for me.

No comments: