Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Icy & Early

The 2nd day at my new job started off in a very interesting manner. The first winter storm of the season covered our area with freezing rain and ice over night. Our cars were covered with a thin coat of the frozen precipitation and the roads were a bit slick. Many of the areas schools were closed.

Since we both had to be at work by 8 Paula and I had decided last night that if the weather was bad in the morning we would ride in together. I’d drop her off at her office and continue on to the distribution center.

I warmed up my car and cleaned it off as best as I could. About 7:15AM we left our driveway. The ride down I-65 was rather rainy and wet with lots of blowing spray from passing trucks. Other than that we didn’t have any problems with icy roads.

I got to my job about 10 minutes before 8. I had some trouble getting from the parking lot to the front door of the distribution center because of the ice on the pavement where I had to park.

Once I got into the center I walked up a set of stairs to the training room where I had spent my first day of training yesterday. The room was dark and no one else from the training class was round. I soon found out the reason why. The training class didn’t start until 10 AM today. That’s not was I was told but apparently that was the way it was.

I was 2 hours early for work. I went back and sat in my car for about 2 hours listening to the radio and then went to my training class. It was probably a good thing that I drove to work with Paula because I wouldn’t have wanted her to have driven by herself.

Later in the day the temperature warmed up enough so that all the ice melted. After both of us got off of work Paula and I went to dinner and did some shopping. We bought gifts for the little girl we picked off the angel tree at church.

While it didn’t start out very well today turned out to be a pretty good day.

No comments: