Sunday, January 18, 2009

Disney Week Day 2: Magic Kingdom Moments


DAY 2 RECOLLECTIONS:
The 2nd day of our Disney World vacation was our first chance to visit a theme park. We started off with the most popular of the 4, The Magic Kingdom.

In the morning, after having breakfast at our resort, as we began the 20 minute bus ride to the park it was raining. We hadn't brought any rain gear with us so we weren't going to get very far without getting wet. The nasty weather kind of dampened (no pun intended) my excitement about finally getting to "The Kingdom."

After we got off the bus it was still raining but with a little more intensity. As we stood under the cover of the bus stop area I was certain my family would balk at the idea of going into the park while it was raining. I was completely wrong. I was certain that our plans for the entire day were ruined. I was ready to admit being defeated by the precipitation. My family, however, kept their spirits up and stated that they wanted to keep going. With their encouragement we marched down the soggy path to the front gate of The Magic Kingdom.

Some of the attractions we saw that day were: Pirates of the Caribbean (got there so early in the day we were able to walk right on to it); The Enchanted Tiki Room; The Haunted Mansion; The Hall of Presidents; Mickey's Philharmagic; Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin; Space Mountain (just me); and The Carousel of Progress.
The highlights of the day for me were: getting my picture taken with Baloo, the bear from The Jungle Book; the breakfast buffet at the Chrystal Palace restaurant; Paula getting her picture taken with Eeyore; Paula & I getting our picture taken with Mickey & Minnie at the Hall of Presidents; Also Paula and I getting our pictures taken in front of the "Partners Statue"; and "Wishes" the closing fireworks display presented around Cinderella's Castle.

When I Look Back On It Now...
As I read my recollection from my "Disney Days" book about our day in "The Kingdom" I couldn't really make any really profound interpretation of the events and apply them to my spiritual growth today. But I did see an example of the need for me to always be a part of a group relationship. What I mean is that morning when it was raining so badly, there at the bus stop just outside the park I was ready to give up and go back to the resort. Despite being so excited about finally living out another aspect of my dream vacation I was already defeated. But Paula; Michael; and James, my family, we very supportive and encouraging. Their enthusiasm and determination to have a good time that day supported me in my weakness.

Having that kind of family support is essential in a Christian's life. Not because it helped me decide to go to the theme park that day; but having that kind of support from a family in everyday life helps me or anyone keep going during difficult times in life. That's true of your relationship with your spouse, sons, daughters or any family member. If you're blessed enough to have a close, supportive family treasure it. It's a valuable treasure.

Spiritually speaking; fellow Christians, church members and everyone else you are connected with through your fellowship with Jesus Christ are your spiritual family as well. You need them for support. You can use their strength when you are weak or going thought difficult times in your walk with Christ. It is your responsibility to support them as well.

"Partners" is a statue that stands in the courtyard in front of Cinderella's Castle. That's a picture of it at the top of this post. The picture taken of Paula and I in front of "Partners" was symbolic to me meaning that the "once upon a time" portion of our personal "love story " was completed and the "happily ever after" part of our lives together could begin.

The reason it was so symbolic to me was because Paula and I first met each other by communicating over the computer. Of course a key part of a computer is a "mouse" A portion of the inscription on the "Partners" statue states something that Walt Disney wanted everyone who worked for him to remember: "...It all started with a mouse". So the phrase Disney used to keep things in perspective was the same one that will always remind me of my wife, Paula, and the beginning of our Love.

Finally, I want to write about the "Wishes" fireworks show. The show was really wonderful and observing the the spectators enjoying its splendor was worth the price of admission in and of itself. However for me while watching that fireworks show I mentally stood back and did two things. I appreciated that, just like the vacation as a whole, the was a symbolic importance to the 4 of us watching that fireworks show as a family. It was a special moment.

Also watching the show I couldn't help but think of my Dad and how much I missed him. I thought about him because I knew in my heart that had he been able to be there with me it would have meant as much to him as it did to me.

So there you have my remembrances from our day at the Magic Kingdom. Not really any lessons so profoundly spiritual as those from the first day but some small bit of application to the Christian life along with some life long memories that have to do with my marriage and my family.

No comments: