Thursday, March 12, 2009

10th Anniversary Of "Wide Open Spaces"

Today is a special anniversary for me. It was 10 years ago today that I made the boldest and best move of my life. At about 11AM on March 12, 1999 in Easton, Pennsylvania I merged my Dodge Caravan onto Interstate 78 highway and began my journey to Kentucky.

The song "Wide Open Spaces" by the Dixie Chicks was on the radio and a mix of sadness and excitement was on my heart. With me in the minivan was, what was for all intents and purposes, all my worldly possessions.

I was leaving the only hometown, friends, family, and life I had known for 38 1/2 years. I quit the job I had had for 19 years and didn't have a new one to go to when I arrived at my new destination. I left my father, mother and sisters behind. My dad was fighting cancer at the time. But that's another story for another post.

The reason I was leaving was because of who was waiting for me at the end of my trek. I was moving to start a new life with The Love of My Life, Paula. I know it sounds crazy and impulsive. Although I wasn't exactly living right at the time and God was not one of my top 50 priorities at that time in retrospect I can see His sovereign hand in all that happened.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I can truly say that the step of faith I took in my relationship with Paula by moving to Kentucky 10 years ago was like a scene in an old Looney Tunes cartoon. I sat on the limb of a tree, sawed it off and watched the tree fall down. It was a move against the odds but something told me it was right for both of Paula and me.

Without a doubt the last 10 years have been the best years of my adult life. Not all of it has been wonderful or easy. Over the 10 years I have experienced the loss of both of my parents and missed out on seeing my sister's families grow. There are other things in my life that aren't picture perfect as well. Again another post for another day.

But I after 10 years I have more than I ever dreamed I could ever have in my marriage, in my relationship with God, (the amazing way He came and found me and brought me back to Him is a miracle in and of itself) in my ministry, in my life. I am a blessed man and I am forever thankful for the decision and move I made 10 years ago.

By the way during my moving trip to Kentucky I spent a night in Columbus. Ask me sometime about the unique experience I had with a certain type of dessert while there. Sometimes cake isn't just cake.

So 10 years ago today I left Pennsylvania to live in Kentucky. The time has gone so fast. In my next post I will share some of my memories about the day I arrived and my early days of my new life. One last note; ironically our weather here today was cold and snowy. The exact same kind of weather there was the day I arrived in Bowling Green: 10 years ago tomorrow.

No comments: