Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gizmo The Iguana


Less than a week after his bearded dragon went to the great terrarium in the sky my son James came home from the pet store a couple of days ago with a new reptile to fill the empty habitat in his room: a baby iguana.
I didn't know this until the morning after he brought him home. About 7AM this past Tuesday I woke up while Paula and James were getting ready to leave for work. James told me to go back to his room and "look on the log."
In my half slumber I lumbered back into his room, turned on the light and began to look around at the walls. With my brain still fuzzy I thought I heard him say "look at the wall." I yelled back into the living room the fact that I couldn't see anything different. James came back and pointed to the log in the reptile cage sitting on his dresser. That's when I saw our new resident reptile: a small iguana about 4 inches long with a tail already a foot long. James said his name is "Gizmo"
I couldn't believe he went out and got another lizard! I'm not fond of lizards to begin with but my least favorites are iguanas. They grow rather large and can be very temperamental or even nasty. Now in my "I'm grumpy cause I'm still half asleep" mood I made some rather nasty spontaneous comments about his recent purchase. I felt bad about but later when I went to apologize to James he had left for work.
Later in the day I went back to the room and took some pictures of Gizmo. I don't know if I should have. I've taken pictures of the other two reptiles James has owned and they died after a relatively short time with us. Well what's done is done. I guess I can count on the 3rd time being the charm and that the iguana who now inhabits part of the back of our house will live a long and happy life and move out with James before he becomes a large green lizard with an attitude.

No comments: