Friday, June 26, 2009

Pre Op Lessons & A Summer Time Treat

It's still over a week before my surgery but already I am learning some lessons that will be of value to me post op.

First of all, for some reason, peanut butter has started to "disagree with me." It doesn't make me nauseous or my stomach upset but it has begun causing extremely unpleasant lower digestive tract issues if you know what I mean. The last 3 or 4 time I've eaten peanut butter 5 or 6 hours later I find myself regretting it in a physically painful way.

This is something that's only supposed to happen with certain foods after my gastric by pass surgery. I guess I'm getting a preview so I will learn how to change my behavior to avoid the things I know my body doesn't need. Not being able to eat peanut butter is a big deal for me. I really loved the stuff. However apparently it no longer likes me. The only other food I've ever had problems like this with is coffee. Everyone who knows me knows that I am not a coffee drinker.

On a more positive note I want to send up a prayer of thanksgiving to The Lord for his creation of Bing cherries. That's what I call them. The more generic name for them here in Kentucky is "dark cherries". They are only in season for about 2 or 3 months during the summer but they are by FAR my favorite fruit.

While I won't be able to eat them after my surgery I will probably be in a position to at least try them by the time they come around next year. That makes me very happy. :)

I have such a passion for this fruit that I always tell people that in heaven I'm going to have a Bing cherry tree planted right next to my recliner in the living room of my mansion. Of course it will always be producing fruit.

While I have really enjoyed eating these cherries every summer since I was a kid; this summer I am celebrating not only their wonderful flavor but the generosity of the One and Only God of the Universe who loves me so much that He has given me the gift of these sweet delicious natural bite size pieces of fruit. Thank You Lord. It's wonderful to be a child of The King.

Before I end this post I would like to wish my sister, Peggy and her husband, Gene a happy wedding anniversary. If memory serves me right this is their 38th anniversary. If I'm wrong I apologize. No matter the number of years I want to wish them a happy anniversary and let them know that their marriage is a inspiration to me in my marriage. God Bless you both for a long time to come.

No comments: