Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Backyard Baseball


As much of a baseball fan as I am I've always wished that I lived close enough to a professional baseball stadium that I could spontaneously decide to go see a game whenever I wanted to.

This past Sunday night, for the first time, I went to see the new minor league baseball team, the Hot Rods, play at their new stadium in town. Let me tell you my wish has come true. The Hot Rods are the "A" minor league affiliate of the MLB's Tampa Ray. Of course I would liked the team to have been a Yankees affiliate but you can't have everything. But in this case this team and ballpark location offer me most things.

It only took me 30 minutes to get there and after a short walk to the front gate easily I found my seat. I went as part of a group from our church.

I had such a great time that I decided to go back tonight (Tuesday). I got a Joe Blanton bobblehead doll they gave away as a promotion. Blanton is a pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies who grew up in this area. That's why the gave the souvenir away.

I really love the two experiences I had at the ballpark this week. I plan on going back again at least once maybe twice before the middle of August. Because when I go back to work I won't be able to go anymore this year.

It was really great to be able to enjoy sitting and watching live baseball again; and it was only about 30 miles from my house. The other great thing about it is that with the weight I've lost since my surgery I can once again fit into a stadium seat somewhat comfortably. It's not a perfect fit yet but it's do able.

After tomorrow the team is on the road for a week. Hopefully, I'll be able to get tickets to the August 8 game. That night they are giving a way a replica model of the new stadium. I would love to have one.

Do I sound excited? Well I am. I am so happy that I now have live professional baseball practically in my own backyard. Thanks Hot Rods!

No comments: