Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Breakfast Bible Study

This morning I did something I haven't done in a long time. I got up at 6AM on purpose. I drove into town and participated in a men's bible study group at the Panara Bread restaurant.

My friend, Brent, had invited me to join them. A couple of weeks ago they had started reading and discussing a book called "Worldliness: Resisting the seduction of a fallen world". It's a series of essays by various ministers and edited by C.J. Mahaney.

I don't have a copy of the book so I couldn't read the chapter they were discussing ; God, my heart, and the media; but I have dealt with the subject in my own life enough that I felt I could contribute to the discussion in a constructive way.

With my glass of sugar free iced tea I sat at the end of the table next to Brent and for the next hour and a half listened to the discussions occasionally offering my point of view. There were about a dozen men there. They all knew each other because they attend Rich Pond Baptist Church. Nonetheless my contributions were accepted and discussed.

It was encouraging to realize that men who are fellow Christians also struggle with the same spiritual issues I do in their lives.

I have now ordered the book from Amazon.com and will do my best to catch up on reading the book so I can go back and be "up to speed" with the discussion next week. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to attend the group after I go back to work. But at least for the next two weeks I'm going to be attending the Breakfast Bible Study.

No comments: