Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Statue" Song Had New Meaning

Being that it is 4th of July weekend I thought it would be appropriate to ask our church music pastor if I could sing the song "Statue of Liberty" in this morning's worship service.

The song which was written by Neil Enloe, and recorded in 1976, is a gospel music standard. It honors Lady Liberty as a symbol of Freedom for all Americans and the cross of Calvary as a place of redemption for all Christians.

I sang it at the very beginning of the service. I was very nervous because I hadn't rehearsed it very much during the week and I wasn't sure how much strength I'd have in my singing voice since I have been on nothing but liquids for 4 days.

My timing was good and I pretty much hit all the notes the way I was supposed to. As I usually do during my solos I did my best to sing to individuals instead of the entire congregation. I looked around at my church family and friends and tried to "connect" with them. I wanted to convey through my voice and expression just what singing this song meant to me on this particular day.

When I finished the song I received the customary applause but something else happened. As I walked off the platform the members of the congregation started standing up. They were honoring the song with a standing ovation. Their action was not on account of my singing. I have been in an arena, a church, and an outdoor concert where the gospel trio, The Couriers, performed the song and received a well deserved standing ovation. My presentation was not in the least bit worthy of such an honor.

The congregation was recognizing the song's tribute to our country and it's glorifying of Jesus Christ for the gift of the cross. It was a very touching moment.

You see, the surgery I'm having tomorrow is a major crossroad in my life and in my relationship with God. It is the ultimate turn away from my sin of gluttony; which is to say putting my desire for food above God in my life.

At the start of 2008 I would have never ever imagined I would be taking this step. I was totally against it as a matter of fact. But as I have discovered God's will for my life I have come to identify the need to repent and turn away from sin.

If my sins were not already paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ through his work on the cross I would not be in the place I am in my life right now. I would not be seeking to turn away from the sin of gluttony by the actions I'm taking. I would still be lost in my sin.

The reason I am being liberated from one of my devastating sins is because I am a spirit filled born again child of God. I'm a born again child of God because Jesus died for my sins on the cross. The cross is the emblem of God's continuing liberation of me from sin. It is my Statue of Spiritual Liberty.

That fact is more real to me in my life now than it ever has been. That's what I wanted to tell my church family through my song this morning. I truly believe that based on what happened in that sanctuary the Holy Spirit helped me do just that. Thank You God for allowing me to give Glory to You.

This is my last post before I go into the hospital for weight loss surgery. I just wanted thank everyone in advance for their prayers and kind words. I will be back posting as soon as I feel better. It shouldn't be more than a week. See you then. God Bless.

No comments: