Tuesday, August 4, 2009

2nd Coming Sunset

Over the last couple of months I have been taking a musical sentimental journey into my past. I've been remembering songs that I listened to when I was young. I quickly discovered that the Internet is a wonderful tool for finding these songs again.

I
found several comedy/novelty songs I remembered including: "The Little Space Girl" by Jessie Lee Turner,from 1958, "Juanita Banana" by The Peels and "Kookie Little Paradise" by Jo-Ann Lee Campbell. Those last 2 remind me of my sister and my dad respectively.

Finding these songs again took some online research but i was like discovering hidden treasures to me. Hearing them again brings back wonderful memories of my childhood.

The song I had the most trouble finding was one that I associated with the church I attended when I was growing up. I was introduced to it by Gene C., my youth group leader for most of my teenage years. It's called "2nd Coming Sunset."

After a couple of days of searching I finally found it on an obscure website and downloaded it. I was so excited. Although I hadn't talked to Gene C. but once or twice in the last 10 years I had to contact him, ask him if he remembered the song, and see if he wanted a copy.

One afternoon last week I called and talked with Gene C. He told me he remember the song and that he had been thinking about it for a couple of weeks. He was considering trying to use it as material for the gospel quartet he sings with. I told him I'd send him a copy.

Now some of you might say that the fact that Gene and I both thought about a song we hadn't heard in nearly 30 years within roughly just about the same time frame was a coincidence. But I'd like to call it more of a "God Thing."

Rediscovering that song has allowed me to connect once again with a long time friend and just might become part of the ministry of "The Inner Light" gospel quartet. The way God works is amazing.

"2nd Coming Sunset" is a very entertaining song about a guy who just has a rotten day. He experiences everything from a bad night's sleep to getting locked out of the his own house. In the end he is comforted and encouraged by the Holy Spirit who reminds him that "this too will pass". All that matters is to continue serving God until Jesus Christ returns to take all believers to be with Him forever. A message that all Christians should keep in mind.


Now that I've shared with you the story behind my experience with the song. Here's the link for you to download and listen to it yourself.

I pray you are as blessed as I was by "2nd Coming Sunset".

Two Songs and a Message

No comments: