Monday, August 3, 2009

A Different Road To Oz


"The Wizard Of Oz" holds a significant importance in my life. It was the inspiration for the first thing I ever said to my wife when I met her online. I wrote "Can you help me find the Yellow brick road?". If you're not familiar with why I wrote that ask me sometime and I'll fill you in.

Over the years I've experienced The Wizard Of Oz in many ways. I've seen the movie on TV and on DVD with all the "behind the scene extras. Read all 14 of L. Frank Baum's Oz books as well as a book about Baum's creation of Oz and a book about the making of the movie.

I've seen a made-for-TV bio pic about L. Frank Baum starring John Ritter. And I've even went to the theater and saw the movie on the big screen when it was released back in 1999 for it's 60th anniversary.

However yesterday Paula and I experienced The Wizard of Oz in a new way; as a stage play. The summer youth theater group in Glasgow Kentucky, a town about 30 minutes away, presented a matinee performance of the play at the town's historic theater, The Plaza.

The two act play was about 3 hours long. Given the fact that it was a local youth theater it was very well done. The set was brightly colored and well designed. The costumes, especially the scarecrow, tin woodsman, and cowardly lion, were excellent.

The music for the stage adaptation was a little different in that some songs had beginnings that I had never heard before. But all the familiar songs: "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "Follow The Yellow Brick Road", "If I Only had a Brain", "Merry Old Land Of Oz" and "We're Off To See The Wizard" were all included. It also included the movie excluded "The Jitter Bug Song."

The Cowardly Lion and the Scarecrow were by far the cast standouts. The young college girl who played Dorothy was convincing when she was playing the part and not preoccupied with imitating Judy Garland.

Without a doubt the highlight of the show was the scene in Munchkinland. The Munchkins were played by children of all shapes and sizes. I would venture to guess they ranged in age from 4 to 10 or 11. They were well rehearsed and cute as can be. The entire audience erupted in applause and cheers when the lights faded as Dorothy waved "good bye" to her little friends.

All in all it was a very enjoyable afternoon. I repeat for a local youth theater production it was well worth the price of admission. Paula and I really liked it. Now I can add "on stage" to my list of the many ways I've experienced The Wizard Of Oz.

No comments: