Friday, August 14, 2009

A Walk In The Park


Last night I went to Bowling Green Ballpark to see the Hot Rods play for the 4th time in the last month.

It probably was the last time I'll be able to go this season because I go back to working 2nd shift starting Monday.

I went by myself and sat down the left field line about 3 rows from the field. It was the first time I got to see the Hot Rods win. The final score was 3-1.

Because I was alone I decided that I wanted to see the entire ballpark for myself. After the 6th inning I left my seat and walked around the ballpark. I walked down the left field line since I was already on that side. I thought I was going to be able to walk around the entire park but public access ends at the home team bullpen.

I stopped along the way to get the view of the field from different vantage points. After a few minutes in left field I made my way back around past the gates and the concession stands and down the right side of the stadium.

The right field line is a whole lot more fan friendlier than the left side. The stadium store is there along with a kid's play area. There are several picnic tables on a patio at the very far end just above the visitor's bull pen. That's where the picture at the top of this post was taken.

Now to the average person there's nothing really all that significant about going around a relatively small ballpark. I'd say it's only about 500 yards from one end to the other. However for me to be able to do it without very much effort was an accomplishment. It shows that I'm making progress physically in my effort to get into better shape. At the start of the summer I never would have been able to make it. That's very encouraging.

I can't wait until I get to go to a game next season. By that time even if I buy a ticket for the seat that's the farthest from home plate. Getting to it will be a walk in the park.

No comments: