Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Walk In The Park


Yesterday, for the first time since our honeymoon, Paula and I returned to Centennial Park in Nashville. This time we weren’t there as tourists (we went to the see the replica of The Parthenon back in 2002) but for the purpose of walking.
The national Obesity Action Coalition sponsored a fund raising event called “Walk from Obesity.” The event consisted of a gathering of fitness and weight loss vendors displaying their goods and services in a small outdoor pavilion, door prizes, and then a 1 mile walk around the Centennial Park.

We drove to Nashville alone but met up with a group of 6 others members of our local weight loss surgery support group there. We had never socialized with any support group member outside of the meetings and seeing them at an event like this was an experience that broadened our social horizons.

Much to my delight the locomotive pictured above was on display in the park near the pavilion where took place. There were a couple of special guests there including a guy who had appeared on the NBC TV show, The Biggest Loser; The Snowbird, a weather mascot from a local Nashville TV station; and 4 of the Tennessee Titans Cheerleaders.

Before the walk Paula won a couple of door prizes: a bath and beauty oils kit, and an autographed CD by country singer, Keith Anderson; along with a Nashville Predator’s T-shirt.

A little after 10 the walk began. The walk started out as rather difficult for me. I couldn’t keep up with our group and I felt badly about Paula not being able to walk with them. Nevertheless she stayed with me the entire walk. The last half of the walk was easier. I finally warmed up my muscles and began talking with a fellow walker who was a lap band patient.

After the event was over we met our support group friends at the Olive Garden just outside the city. It was the same restaurant where we went to eat after Michael and Heather’s wedding last October. Paula and I also went there to eat after our initial consultation with our weight loss surgeon back in March.

Even before we ordered our food I was excited about being there. The last time we were there, after the consult, I couldn’t sit in the chair that had arms. I had to ask the waiter to bring an armless chair so I could sit comfortably. That was different this time. I was able to fit in the chair and enjoy the conversation and the meal. It made me feel great to measure my success in such a practical manner.

We had a great time talking with and eating with our support group friends. It was the first time we’d ever been out to eat in a group with others who had the same or similar diet restrictions.

After we left the restaurant, we did some shopping in the suburban Nashville shopping area. Paula found a Goodwill store where she can buy clothes that will fit her as she loses weight and not spend a lot of money.

About 3 o’clock we headed home. It was a very nice day and a wonderful overall experience. I’m blessed to have found friends who are so encouraging and accepting of me and Paula. The day was so relaxing and enjoyable. It really was a walk in the park.

No comments: