Friday, September 18, 2009

When 74 Days Makes A Year

Back in 2007, when I realized that I only had 3 years left until I turned 50, I looked at where I wanted to be in my life on that milestone birthday. One of the top priorities was to lose weight and be healthy by the time I reached the half century mark.

I figured that I could make “ideal weight” by my 50th birthday if I lost an average of 6 pounds per month for 3 years. That was an average of 1.5 pounds a week, which is a typical lost for almost any effective diet. A lofty goal but I felt with consistent effort I could do it. At that rate I would have lose 70 pounds a year. That amount of weight loss in a year is considered successful in both the medical and commercial weight loss communities.

I’ve written all of that to tell you this. After only 76 days since my surgery I’ve now lost 70 pounds. That means in less than 3 months I have lost what was once my weight loss goal for a year. This accomplishment means a lot to me. It means my surgery, efforts, and diet is paying off and I’m on my way to my ultimate goal. That’s highly motivating.

I’ve set a personal goal of reaching the 100 pounds lost by Christmas this year. I’ve got 30 pounds to go with 14 weeks till December 25. Even if my current rate of loss were to slow down by half I will reach that goal rather easily. Of course it’s only a goal.

So while it may not mean much to anyone else this “year’s worth” of weight loss is a milestone for me in my effort to regain my health. No it’s on to my end of the year goal, Walk On. !

No comments: