Sunday, September 6, 2009

Writer's Block Alternative

It’s been a couple of days since I’ve posted and the only reason is that I’m suffering from a temporary writer’s block. I can’t seem to come up with anything that would be of particular interest to my readers. So here’s a post of random items to keep you up to date with what’s happening in my life.

Overall things are going well and God continues to be faithful on a daily basis. I have reached the 65 pounds lost mark as I complete my 2nd month since surgery. I walk my dogs every day and go to the gym to swim at least 2, if not 3, times a week. I continue to fit into clothes I have stored in the back of my closet and find myself able to do things that I couldn’t before surgery.

I’m very excited about having the opportunity to perform again this year at the “Street Party for Jesus” festival this coming Saturday. I’m going to be doing a 20 minute ventriloquist performance that includes singing 2 songs. I’ll have more about that after I perform.

My 49th birthday is coming up on Wednesday to help myself “celebrate” and I’m going to be doing something that I’ve felt I should do for several months now. It’s a gesture toward a member of my family and will leave me very vulnerable and open to being hurt, emotionally. I can’t tell you what it is until after I do it. But I’ll be sure and let you know what happens.

Anyone who knows me knows I love to make up parody songs. That means I like to make up other words to familiar songs. I’ve been doing it for years. Earlier this year I made up a couple of songs about my job based on the songs used on the popular “Free Credit Report.com” commercials. My most recent parody is one written to the tune of the Beatles song, Yesterday. It’s about my recent weight loss surgery and the lifestyle I had to adapt afterwards.

I entitled the song “Roux-en-y” (pronounced "roo in why") which is a specific term for the kind of surgery I had. If you sing it to yourself you'll see it fits. I’m really proud of the song and it conveys the way I feel about having surgery in a rather clever way. Perhaps one of these days I’ll get to record it and put it on YouTube but I don’t know when that will be.

I have been back to work since the middle of August and am really enjoying my job since I’ve been back. The two main reasons for this are because of changes I've made at home. I have been getting up earlier than I used to and getting some things accomplished before I go to work and I’ve been going to bed earlier at night.

I have a list of “things to do” for each day and try my best to them it done before I have to leave for work. Striving to get them done gives me a sense of accomplishment outside of work. I don’t feel like all I do is get up and go to work. I get things that are important to me completed. This has made a big difference in my life.

The last thing I want to mention is that I’ve been really feeling the call to start working in Children’s ministry again. But this time I want to do it exclusively as a ventriloquist or puppeteer. I want to start by getting involved once again with the Children’s Church and Awana ministries at my church but only by performing as a “vent” to as a supplemental teacher, not the main teacher. This will help me get the involvement I need once again as well as leave me available to go out and do some ministry with other churches as well.

In my heart I had stepped away from God’s calling of ministering as a ventriloquist a while ago but now I am compelled to return to it. Right now it’s just an intention but I’m going to have to speak with my pastor about it to get it started. As with a lot of the things I’ve written about in this post; I’ll let you know what happens.

That's all for now. As I look back at this post it seems as though having writer's block really isn't a problem. Either that or this post has helped me work through it. Thanks for reading.






No comments: