Sunday, November 22, 2009

Class Ring Reunion


A couple of days ago I wrote about getting an Ernie puppet as a Christmas gift in 1970. Today I'm reminiscing again about another Christmas gift. This one I got for Christmas my sophomore year in high school. It's my Phillipsburg High School Class of 1978 school ring.

Until yesterday I hadn't seen it in about 10 years. Back in 1998 I was still living in Pennsylvania but I wanted to move to Kentucky. Situations and finances dictated that I stay in the Lehigh Valley. To show Paula that I wanted to be and would soon be closer to her I sent her my ring. She kept it on a chain draped over the side of her bedroom mirror until I moved to Kentucky in March of 1999. Our son James used to take it down and wear it all the time. The size 11 class ring was way too big for him but he wore it nonetheless.

Once I was in Kentucky and as other rings (engagement and wedding) became the emblems of our Love the class ring made it's way from the mirror to Paula's jewelry box for safe keeping.

As the years went by and my weight increased I discovered I couldn't wear my class ring any longer. Like the Grinch's heart it was 2 sizes too small.

Yesterday, my wife was doing some pre-holidays house cleaning and discovered my class ring in her jewelry box. She brought it to me and I tried it on. It fit again.

I was so proud that I've lost enough weight and my fingers were small enough to fit the ring that I kept it on. I plan on wearing it for at least a week or two. Wearing it is like looking back in time and toward the future at the same time.

Each year on Thanksgiving day Phillipsburg high school's football team plays it's rival, Easton Area high school, in a "Turkey Day" football game. I always miss being at that game every year. Looking down at my right ring finger and seeing the blue sapphire birthstone and the name of my high school will help me feel closer to home this year.

In addition, while the ring still fits it is just a little snug. That's a reminder to me that I still need to continue to work at losing enough weight so that one day the ring will actually be too big for me.

I'm very happy that I can once again wear my high school class ring. It may seem strange to start wearing it again at age 49 but it makes me smile.

No comments: