Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Mystery of the Disappearing Adapter

For the last 2 or 3 months I've been enjoying using my cell phone as an MP3 player. I use it most of the time to listen to sermons during my daily walks and on my drive to and from work.

On the walks I listen through a set of ear buds. In the car I plug my phone into a wireless FM transmitter allowing me to listen over my car stereo. Because my Samsung phone has a special kind of plug design that's exclusive to Samsung; in order to use my MP3 player I have to use a special adapter. It has the Samsung plug on one end and a standard audio plug on the other. That little adapter an essential part to my ability to use the transmitter.

This past Monday, as usual, I was listening to a sermon on my way home from work. When I got home I disconnected the adapter from the wireless transmitter and put it in the right hand pocket of my sweat pants. While still in my car I reached back into my right pocket to get out my house keys. After I got into the house I went to empty my pockets and there was no adapter. The ear buds I carry were there but no adapter.

I retraced my steps and searched the car several times but found no adapter. I called Samsung and tried to order another one but they are indefinitely out of stock. I do have a set of ear buds with the special Samsung plug on the end so I can still listen on my walks. But I can no longer listen over my car stereo. That really upsets me.

I know I'm probably whining a bit and it's really not a big deal. But I've come to really depend on listening to sermons on my commute for a lot of my Bible study time. That's very important to me.

The other thing that bothers me is just exactly where that adapter went. I don't have any idea and it really bugs me. I even did the typical thing most people do when they lose something. I started looking in places it couldn't possibly be. I looked all through my car, front to back, when I only had it in the front seat.

Where it went I don't know. I guess that means that eventually I will have to get an MP3 player that works with the standard ear buds and the plug on the wireless transmitter. But with the holidays coming up I have to watch my spending so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Where did that adapter go? It's a mystery for which I may never find the solution.

No comments: