Monday, November 16, 2009

Running Home

In an effort to get a fix of anything baseball during the first weeks of the off season I went to MLB.com, major league baseball's official website. There I found 3 minutes of video highlighting the 2009 season. Of course the culmination of the season was the Yankees winning the World Series. YES!

The song that accompanied the video was titled "Running Home." Sung by Susan Sherman Propp. I had never heard the song before but I really liked it. The tune really conveys the emotional appeal of baseball.

The late comedian George Carlin in one of his classic comedy routines compared football to baseball. In football, he said, you hit "Pay Dirt." In baseball you try to "go home." While Carlin's tone implied that there was something weak about it to me as a Christian the idea of "going home" has an appeal. The goal of my life is to someday "go home" to be with God.

To me home has always meant a place of safety and security. Eternity with God is the ultimate security. that's a pending promise and the hope of all Christians.

King David in Psalms 23 writes of the hope to "dwell in the house of the Lord, forever." Jesus told his disciple in John chapter 14 that he was ascending to His Father's house. He promised to come back and take them there to be with Him forever. He even told the disciples not to worry about it they would be "going home." That promise and assurance is extended to all followers of Christ.

While "Running Home" is about the emotional appeal and comfort of the game of baseball the song has a double meaning for me. It helps me realize what's so appealing about the baseball while it inspires me to keep moving forward; getting closer to Christ and growing in my relationship with Him.

After hearing "Running Home" on MLB.com I went to I-Tunes to see if I could download it on my computer. I found that it was part of an entire album of children's songs. Included were some old standards like 'I've Been Working on the Railroad"; A, You're Adorable" and; "My Grandfather's Clock." That last song was one my dad used to sing to my sister and me all the time when we were kids.

So not only do I have some new music added to my collection but I have found a new song about baseball that I like a lot. In addition it inspires me in my Christian walk as well. I am so thankful that God blesses me with "little gifts" when I least expect them.

No comments: