Monday, November 9, 2009

Three Digit Loss


Today, 4 months and 3 days after my surgery I have reached the milestone of 100 pounds lost. This experience has been my most successful weight loss effort of my life. By this I mean in terms of longevity and total amount lost. While I'm not quite halfway to my goal (43% to be exact) I'll be more than halfway by Christmas or the end of the year at the latest.

While losing weight after surgery has been at an accelerated rate it hasn't been easy by any means. The same disciplines necessary for a successful diet without surgery apply afterwards as well. In addition to the restriction of the amount I can eat, due to the limited capacity of my "pouch". I have had to exercise, count calories and protein grams. I've had to take vitamins and supplements, watch my portion size, limit my intake of carbohydrates to under 15 a day and drink at least 64 oz of water daily as well.

I have not been perfect by any means. The ravenous appetite of the "food cravings monster" is still there and will never go away. I lust after pizza and still crave sweets from time to time. I don't have to fight physical hunger much anymore but the "mental hunger" will always be a part of me. I must work hard on keeping the monster in it's cage.

With God's help I can stay focused on my goals: reaching my goal weight, staying active, and living a healthier life style that enables me to be a better servant of Jesus Christ.

Reaching the 3 digit weight loss is just a sign post on the journey I've been on for nearly all my life. The next sign post up ahead is what I call "moving the big weight." I'll write more about that when it happens. It shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks.




No comments: