Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Vocational Anniversary


Today is the 1st anniversary of my term of employment at the ShopNBC call center. A lot has changed in the last year at the call center.

There is now a bigger working area which was built and opened back in the spring. It is on the "second floor" of the warehouse and is about 3 times bigger than the original call center. There's also about 150 more employees.

Personally, I went from starting as a part time employee (between 24 & 32 hours a week) to full time in February. I also went from working a 3:30-12 midnight shift to a day shift of 8AM-4:15 PM. That happened in September.

I have worked with a lot of different people during the course of the year. Quite a few have left the job. As a matter of fact I think only 3 of my original training class, including me, are still there.

Doing the job itself has kept me aware of just how easily it is for a person to become caught up in gathering possessions. I know my job is to help people who want to buy things from the company. But the selfishness and the lust of wanting something so badly is something that I deal with every day, all day long. It's really sad the choices people will make between being able to buy basic life necessities (food and gas) and buying something they really don't need. I'm also amazed at the depth of debt and financial bondage people get themselves into just to own a watch or a piece of jewelry. It keeps me aware of what my obligation is in regard to my stewardship of what God has given me.

While at work, in between phone calls, I look around at the busy atmosphere of the call center and am amazed at the difference a year makes. The call center has grown so much in that time. I ask myself all the time: What recession?

It also turns my thoughts to not only the call center changes but the personal changes that have happened in the last year. Although I've not been completely content and happy with the circumstances of my job over the last year I am grateful to have a job and for the lessons God has taught me through it. He has changed my heart in regard my attitude toward work and just who I am working for. I may be employed by ShopNBC but I'm a servant of The Lord.

So as I start my 2nd year as a ShopNBC employee I look forward to the future based on the growth of the past. I've got a long way to go both physically and spiritually. I'm looking forward to a year from now when I can once again, pause, and evaluate the changes The Lord has worked over the course of yet another year.

No comments: