Saturday, January 16, 2010

Friday Night Comedy


The best week of the year so far ( I know we're only 15 days into 2010 but it's still true) came to a conclusion with Friday night at Zanies Comedy Club in Nashville.
My wife and I left town about 4:15. We slowly navigated Friday afternoon rush hour in Nashville waiting in traffic on I-65/I-40 to finally get to the club about 10 minutes before the doors opened at 6PM.

We got some decent seats near the stage but not right in front of it. Most of the tables are small and cramped. Ours was in a place that had a little more room. It was the most comfortable place I've sat to watch a show there.

We each found an item on the very limited menu that we could enjoy but still stay on our diets. Paula ordered a roast beef sandwich and I got a grilled chicken breast sandwich with cheese. Neither of us ate the bread and we peeled the coating off of the mozzarella sticks we got and only ate the cheese.

The show started at 7:30. The first comic was a woman named Patti Vasquez. I knew her from the Bob & Tom radio show and has seen her before on the TV version of the show on WGN out of Chicago. I liked her and knew Paula would too. We laughed at her jokes about being a mother, ethnic background and having to deal with other mother's sharing their unsolicited opinions about her children.

She did about 30 minutes on stage then introduced the headliner; the guy we came to see, John Pinette. It was the 2nd time I'd seen him at Zanies. He was funny but seemed to be a bit distracted and uncomfortable throughout his act. There were times when it looked like he had lost his place and couldn't remember what was next. He repeated the same lines over and over almost to a fault. Paula and I think something was wrong with him. Perhaps he was sick but went on with the show anyway. Nevertheless we enjoyed him.

After he did about an hour the show was over. Patti Vasquez came back on to close the show and draw a winner from the comment cards audience members had filled out and turned in. My name was picked and I won a $25 gift certificate for Zanies. This means I'm going back again. LOL.

As we left we bought one of Ms. Vasquez's t-shirts that says "Just because you can talk doesn't mean you should".

It was a wonderful evening with my wife and a great way to conclude this eventful week. Only thing now is what am I going to do the rest of the year to beat it?






No comments: