Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Snow Day


Today was the first time since I've lived in South Central Kentucky that I didn't go to work because of snow. That's right. It snowed about 7 inches of snow here in my tiny little village. That made getting to work this morning very dangerous.

The picture above was taken with a yard stick in the snow on top of the railing of our backyard deck. Getting that much snow at one time is a big deal around here. It's probably the most snow we've had at one time since I moved to Kentucky in March of 1999. Areas to the south of us got even more.

When I called into my job at about 5:45AM the security desk told me that the call center's 3rd shift had been sent home and there was no one there. I didn't know if the day shift had been cancelled or not. I just decided that I wouldn't be the only one "crazy" enough to travel through the slick streets to get there; so I called off.

Spent part of the morning cleaning off our sidewalk, driveway and our cars. By the afternoon the sun had come out and melted some of the snow but not much.

Since we could get there on the main roads that had been plowed, at least a little bit, we decided to go to the 50th anniversary celebration at our church. Tommy & Sandy Walters renewed their vows on the exact date of their anniversary.

The rest of my snow day was spent at home napping and just relaxing. Tomorrow it's up and out in the snow to work. But now it's only a 4 day work week. I guess everyone deserves a snow day every 10 years or so.

No comments: