Monday, February 8, 2010

Return Decision

Today is the day after the Superbowl. It's the day when a new version of an iconic TV commercial starts to run on network television. This year it's Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints quarterback and Superbowl MVP, just moments after winning the big game looking into the camera announcing that he plans to go visit Mickey Mouse and friends at their theme park in Orlando.

So in the tradition of that commercial and with some poetic license today I would like to make an announcement of my own: "I'm Going Back to Disney World!"

This Disney declaration probably doesn't come as a surprise to some of you and may raise some questions about me for others. Let me clarify my statement. I plan on going back to Disney World again but not until 2014. The decision to go back is a result of the freedom that has come with my spiritual growth over the last couple of years.

The process of how I've gone from an attitude of "I'm not going to give Disney World any more of my money" to planing to return has been guided by the active work of God in my life. However it's much too lengthy and detailed to include in this blog. It's only part of my testimony of how I've learned about the person God wants me to be. This has happened by studying His word. Over the past couple of years I've grown in my relationship with Jesus. I can explain it a lot better verbally than in writing. Feel free to ask me about it anytime.

Let's face it a Disney World Vacation costs a lot. Although I never actually added up the total cost of our 2004 trip (my wife didn't want to know) a conservative estimate for my family of 4 would have to be at least $1000 each. I can't for the life of me understand how the people I've met on on internet forums, and podcasts can afford to go every year. Some go several times a year or more.

The only way I can justify such an expensive vacation is if it's something that only happens occasionally. That's why I'm waiting until the 10th anniversary of our first trip to go back. This way I can save in relatively small increments over time and it's paid for when we go. This type of approach to such an expense is scriptural because there is no debt and it is subordinate to the giving of tithes and offerings. I'm doing my best to follow The Lord's leading when it comes to when and how much he wants us to be giving.

Now before settling on my decision to go back to Disney World I had to ask myself a few questions:

Am I willing to give up the idea of the trip if God requires the money I've saved for use somewhere else? The answer to that is "yes". As a matter of fact I don't plan on starting to save for the trip until after I get back from I-fest this summer.

I-fest is an annual gathering of Christians in the puppet ministry that takes place outside Chicago. It offers classes taught by some of the top ventriloquist in Christian ministry. There's also fellowship with those committed to the ministry just like I am. Both of those are things I really need right now. As part of commitment to the ministry God has led me to I will be saving to pay for I-fest before I start saving for a return trip to "the world".

The other question I had to ask was "Am I stepping back in to sinful behavior by becoming too involved with Disney again? (See December 4, 2009 post: Dancing with Disney). Unlike the last time I decided to go I know for a fact that my interest Disney will never ever again take the place of my love and commitment to Christ. God is the Lord of my life. There is no one or nothing that comes before him. If there is ever anything in my life that even hints of becoming a god to me before the True God I will remove from my life without hesitation.

So there you have it; my version of a post Superbowl commercial. God willing I plan on going back to visit Mickey & his friends in Orlando 10 years after our first trip. It's a long time from now and a lot could happen before then. Still I'm planning ahead for my 2nd vacation of a lifetime.

Also I'm not putting any other of our other vacation plans on hold just to save for this trip. We're planning on taking vacations to Niagara Falls and the Grand Canyon sometime in the next couple of years.

So now it's "official". I've made a public declaration. As I continue to be a steward of the financial blessings God has given me in accordance with His commandments in the scriptures; I have the freedom to look once again toward going to Disney World. At least that's the plan for now.

And just in case you missed it. Here's link to the video of this year's commercial

No comments: