Friday, February 5, 2010

Stepping Back Into Fellowship

Yesterday I went to visit my friend and Christian Brother, Ben. For the past year or so he's been busy doing something I'll never even attempt to do. He's been building a new house for his family.

In December 2008 he and his wife broke ground for the foundation of their new domicile on lot on their 40 acre property that's within view of their current home, the sight of Ben's childhood home, and his father's farm.

Ben works full time and then some on this house. Except for the framework and the plumbing, he's built or constructed just everything in it. His wife, Debbie, puts her time in as well. They have really done a great job with their already amazing, soon to be wonderful home.

Ben and I have been friends for about 5 years. I refer to him as my "baseball buddy". Over the course of our friendship he has gone with me to see Louisville Slugger museum in Louisville, the Reds in Cincinnati, the Pirates in Pittsburgh, and the Braves in Atlanta. We didn't go to a game together last year. Hopefully we can resume our "tradition" of going to the ballpark for my birthday this year.

The different path our lives have taken this last year or so has kept us from being as close as we have been in the past. He has been busy with his house and I have been busy preparing for and recovering from my surgery. We've kind of lost touch. Hopefully, this visit has started a course correction for our friendship.

For me this visit wasn't just a trip to see the progress Ben's been making with his house. It was the start of getting back a friendship that I've missed having in my life. My relationships with my brothers and sisters in Christ who go to my church is very important to me. God has commanded that I fellowship and love them as He loves them.

I have allowed my situation with my job and work hours over the last 13 months or so, keep me away from church. That's really not that big a deal. When it comes to growing in my relationship with Christ. Despite limited church attendance I've grown over this past year through reading scripture, books and listening to sermons on CD or on my MP3 player. God has really blessed me in that aspect of our relationship.

The real sin in distancing myself from church is that I don't fellowship and cultivate my relationships with the other members of the church. Loving and serving the the body of Christ (aka the people of the church) is a priority for us as commanded by Christ. There are plenty of scriptures in the New Testament that emphasize that being actively involved with fellow Christians this is one of the most important parts of serving The Lord. Selfishly I have not been doing that.

Therefore I have decided that its time to move myself back into obedience. I've got to return to being part of the "flock" and not a stray sheep. I can't rebelliously believe that I am exempt from the requirement to love and serve my fellow Christian simply because of my work hours and other things.

My visit with Ben is my first step in repentance from my sin ways and returning to being part of my church fellowship once again. Thank You Lord for showing me my sinful ways and bringing me to a place where I desire to be obedient to you.

No comments: