Friday, July 16, 2010

A Vocational Recall


Just like the 7 dwarfs in Disney's Snow White, this afternoon I started singing "Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho It's off to work I go".

This afternoon, about 4:30, I received a call from Amanda in the HR department of Shop NBC. I had been talking with her about a "work at home" opportunity with the company. I expected that the phone call was to give me an update on that possibility. Instead she told me something I was not really expecting. She told me that I was being recalled back to work after a 6 week layoff instead of 12. I will be going back to work this coming Monday.

Overall this is a good thing. I will start getting 40 hour paychecks again; something that I haven't had since the end of February. We could really benefit from my returning to a full paycheck. The only thing that bothers me is that I am going back to working the same schedule. Saturday through Wednesday with Thursday & Friday off.

This schedule sets back some of my plans for advancing my ventriloquist career and ministry. I won't have Sundays off so I can go minister at different churches in the area. I also had planned on trying to perform at some of the local day care centers and nursing homes during the last month I was supposed to be off of work. That opportunity will now be limited to my days off.

While I'm a bit apprehensive and taken back a bit about going back so much earlier I must have faith that God is still in control. My ventriloquism is the one place I really need to exercise my faith. By returning to work on the same schedule I am in the same place with ventriloquism as I was before the layoff. I am not off of work on weekend which is when most of my performance opportunities would be.

But God has blessed me during this lay off with a lot more opportunities to use ventriloquism. I am forever grateful for the chances and advances I've gotten over the last 3 months. Now even though it looks like I won't be able to take advantage of those types of opportunities in the future I'm sure God will make a way.

Perhaps I should return to focusing on practicing and developing better routines so that when the chance to perform does come up I am ready and better than ever. See all I had to do was look for the chance for growth and I knew I could put a silver lining on the situation.

Also, the possibility of working for Shop NBC from home is still open, at least for now. I'll have to see how that works out. If it does it might be a good thing. I'll keep you informed on that.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I will be returning to work at Shop NBC on Monday. This doesn't mean I'll stop looking for another job. I don't see myself working there this time next year. I'm almost positive God has something better for me. I'll just have to wait and see what that might be. But until He shows me what's next for me I'm going to do my best to pick up my pick axe and my lantern and head back to the Shop NBC mine...er call center and make the best of the situation. Heigh Ho Heigh Ho...

No comments: