Monday, August 23, 2010

Disney Plans Aren't "Perfect"



In exactly 2 weeks from today, thanks to the generosity of my wonderful wife, we will be making our way to Orlando Florida for what promises to be a wonderful four day 50th birthday celebration in Walt Disney World. As I've written many times on this blog I'm extremely excited.

As of a couple of days ago I finished our touring plans. A touring plan is a step by step guide for minimizing the time you wait in line at each attraction or for a show. This week in the mail we received our "Magic Your Way" package which includes our hotel reservation documents. (A big "thank you" to Stephanie from MEI/Mouse Fan Travel for all her helAdd Imagep. If anyone is planning a Disney vacation of any kind go to http://www.mousefantravel.com/ for assistance. They can get you a the best deal there is and they do all the work for you with no agent fee). So except for the packing and last minute updates we are ready to go visit the happiest place in Florida.

Along the way as I was making my plans I realized that there are some things about my birthday trip that will be disappointing. Actually the disappointments aren't in the things we'll be doing but things I won't be able to do for one reason or another.

For instance, last time we were in "The World" in 2004 I didn't get the chance to ride "It's A Small World". We were with our sons on that trip and since it was a family trip it was a family decision to skip that attraction.

But this time it was going to be at or near the top of my "to do" list for Fantasyland in the Magic Kingdom. But I found out that it will be closed for "rehab" while we are there. Another attraction I'll be missing in the Magic Kingdom is the Main Street Electrical Parade.

This past summer the Disney podcast and online communities were all buzzing with the excitement over this parade returning to Magic Kingdom after decades of being in Disneyland. Unfortunately the parade is scheduled to run the day before we get there and not again until after we leave.

In Disney Hollywood Studios the "Walt Disney: One Man's Dream" walk through exhibit that has lots and lots of memorabilia and historic documents that tell the story of Walt and link directly back to him will be closed during our trip.

The one quick service restaurant in Animal Kingdom that's highly rated and recommended, Flame Tree Barbecue, will be closed as well.

So you see while I am excited about my trip there are some things I want to do but won't be able to while I'm there that I wanted to do. When I expressed my disappointment about these things to my wife she very sweetly replied "that gives you a reason to go back again".

I guess she's right but I really wanted this to be the perfect trip. But nothing's ever really perfect is it? But you know what? In 2 weeks I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD". I can't wait.




No comments: