Thursday, August 19, 2010

Re-Cycling

Today for the first time in about 25 years I rode a bicycle. I didn't ride it very long or very far but I did ride it.

My sister in law bought a bike a couple of month ago with the intention of riding it for exercise. However the problems she's had with her knees and the excessive heat of the summer has prevented her from doing so.

I have been considering bike riding as a potential form of exercise for a while now. But with everything else that's been going on I haven't the funds to purchase one right now. So I asked my sister in law if I could borrow her bike. She said "anytime".

This afternoon with the weather being a bit cooler (only in the lower 80's) and less humid I decided to try out the bike. I got on it and headed down the road between our town and the church I go to. I made the walk there a few months ago so I figured a round trip on the bike would be a nice first ride.

Well as I got about 1/4 mile down the road the bike's handle bars came loose. I don't know if I leaned on them too hard or what but the were extremely loose. This made riding and controlling the bike extremely difficulty. So about halfway into my journey I decided that I needed to go back to the house.

Now all in all I really enjoyed the time I did get to ride. I think cycling is going to be another potential exercise outlet for me in the future. Despite my sister in law's generosity in offering to use her bike whenever I want to I'm going to look toward getting a bike of my own. I just have to wait until I can afford it. That will probably won't be until next spring.

But I can't wait to get out on the back roads of South Central Kentucky and explore the country side while getting my exercise doing something I've always enjoyed: riding a bike.

No comments: