Saturday, January 8, 2011

Trio Of Technology

I am not a techno geek. I am not up on all the latest technology that's part of the popular culture of the day. I'm not a caveman living in the dark ages by any means either.

I do have a Facebook page but I don't "tweet" on Twitter. I use it to keep in touch with family, friends and co-workers. I have an Ipod but it's a "classic" that serves as a portable jukebox for my music collection. It's also a means of listening to the podcasts and sermons I enjoy while I'm driving in my car or out walking my dogs.

I have a cell phone but I only use it to make calls. I don't send text messages or connect to the Internet. I use my personal technology but don't take advantage of all the conveniences they offer. However I'm trying to expand my horizons.

I'm considering getting a new cell phone with a QWERTY keyboard and complete Internet capability. One of my goals for 2011 is to start using programs on my computer to record my Rewind shows as MP3 files so they instantly digital. I currently record onto CD's then import them into my I-Tunes library. Learning to use the recording program, Audacity, on my computer will eliminate the CD part of the process. In addition I have now gone digital with another important area of my life: my reading habits.

I had debated for quite a while before the holidays about asking for an electronic reader for Christmas. After doing research I went back and forth about which version I wanted: Kindle or Nook. I decided to ask for the Kindle.

I think it was the fact that my son, Michael owns one and really likes it. Also there was that catchy little song that they use on their commercials. I couldn't get it out of my head; still can't. But then that could be because it's playing on I-Tunes as write this post. (singing) can you fly me away. Take me away with you my love.

Where was I? Oh yeah. The Kindle. My generous wife gave it to me as a gift this past Christmas. I really like it. The convenience of being able to shop for books in an instant is a great feature I'm going to appreciate for a long time.

However I can tell from just browsing through the user's guide that I'm only ever going to use a fraction what it's capable of doing. I'll search for, download, and read books. That's about all I plan on using it for. I may make notes and create collections but that's about all I see myself doing with it.

So now that I have a Kindle every day I take my trio of technology with me to work. Should you look in on me while I'm in the Shop NBC break room eating my lunch you'll see me with the technology triplets. I'll be reading my Kindle, listening to my IPod, just after checking my voice mail on my cell phone. Am I a slave to technology?

Don't get me wrong I love the fact that I'm blessed with all these modern digital gadgets. They have help make life a little better. They keep me "in touch". But I sometimes wonder how I got through my first 40 years of life without any of them?

If they were gone tomorrow would I miss them? I don't know the answer to that question. I really don't want to know the answer.

So if you'll excuse me I'm going to finish this post and go start reading my new book. I just heard about it on TV and downloaded it to my Kindle. I'll sit on the couch and listen to my "one hit wonders from the 70's" playlist through my ear buds while my cell phone sits on the table next the lamp in case I get a call.

Ah yes, technology is like the brain. Having it is good; even if you're only using 10% of it's potential.

No comments: