Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Last Week Was A "Moving" Week

Other than yesterday's short reflection on Easter, it's over a week since I've posted. That's because last week I was busy helping my sister-in-law move. On Tuesday I began by loading boxes and things into my car; taking them to her new house. She's moved from Smiths Grove into Bowling Green. She's about 20 minutes away from us now.

Then on Wednesday, Paula took off work and we both helped. We made 3 trips from the old house to new house with 3 SUV type vehicles and a small open trailer loaded with her stuff. After the first trip Paula stayed at the new house to help unpack and organize things.

I went back a couple of times with Mike (one of Theresa's friends) to load up some of the larger furniture onto the trailer. The last thing Mike and I did was go to a local appliance store to pick up her new washer and dryer. We then unpacked it and carried them into the house.

It was a long day. We didn't get home until after 10 that night. We were so exhausted. That we spent Thursday resting at home.

On Friday we got back to it. We focused on removing pictures and things from the walls and loading boxes already into the cars; taking them to the new house.

About noon I took a break and went to see the movie "African Cats." You can read my review of the movie on my other blog: http://www.goofyguyoffworlddisneyblog.blogspot.com/.

Once again, Paula stayed to help Theresa unpack and set up. We got home a little earlier than we did on Wednesday. We were home before dinner time. Our day wasn't finished though. We had to rearrange our living room so that the couch from Theresa's living room would fit in ours. We also prepared some of the food Paula was going to serve for breakfast the next day. A group of volunteers from our church were going to help us empty the old house in the morning.

On Saturday, the last day of moving, at 6:30AM we met about 6 men from our church at the old house to load up all the large furniture. They brought a large covered trailer. Since most of the stuff was already moved it only took one trip. We were finished moving her by 8:15AM.

Both Paula and I were glad the moving project was finished. We were very tired and somewhat sore. But one of the things we realized was that over the course of the days of moving we were able to do a lot more than we thought we could. Our energy and physical endurance was a lot better than its been in a long time. Before our weight loss we wouldn't have been able to do a quarter of what we did. For that we're thankful.

Later Saturday morning I went to our church's annual Easter Egg hunt at a local park. There were a lot of kids there. I estimate that there were at least 150. It was fun to watch the different age groups run and collect thousands of plastic candy filled eggs.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, we went to church in the morning and had our sons and their wives over for lunch in the afternoon. It was another nice day of being together with family.

I can't review this past week without mentioning the weather. All week long we had rain and thunderstorms nearly every day. These storms have included large amounts of rain, hail and tornadoes. We have been under tornado warnings but have not had any in our immediate area, Thank God. The pattern of rainy weather and severe storms is supposed to continue this coming week.

A couple more things I want to mention about this past week. I found out that my job layoff has been extended through June 10th. This means that I can take Paula on her birthday trip to Chattanooga without using any of my vacation days. Also my family from Pennsylvania has scheduled their semi-annual visit to Kentucky for the last week of July. I'm excited about getting to see them again.

So that's what has happened over the last week. Now that it's over I can get back to focusing on things here at home. Sorry for not posting but it was a busy time. The good news is that I have a lot of other things that happened last week that I haven't mentioned here. This gives me plenty of material for posts over the next week. Come back later this week and find out what they are.

No comments: