Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Search Is Over

For those of you who, like me, when you read the title of this post, thought about the Survivor song from the 80's, I apologize. The 1985 Top 5 ballad, has nothing to do with what I'm about to write. But at least you'll have something to sing to yourself for the rest of the day. 

For those who didn't think of the song or have no idea what I'm referring to, you're better off not knowing. Now onto the subject at hand.

Over the last 6 to 8 weeks I have turned up the intensity of my effort to find a new job. As a man over 50 with a high school diploma and 30 years of work history my options were limits. But I was careful in deciding what ads to respond to, I knew there were jobs I didn't want or couldn't do. 

Working in the retail, fast food or industrial worlds were not going to be a fit for me. While being as selective as I needed to be I also had to make sure I threw enough "mud at the wall" that something would stick. 

From the beginning of June until now I had been putting in applications but received no response whatsoever. But over the last week or so, I've finally started to get some call backs and have had several interviews. 

Well, I've got some good news. I have found a new job. Although I had aspirations of going in a different direction with my vocational efforts, I am returning to work at a call center once again. 

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for getting a new job, I was just looking to do something different. But you know what "they" say. Tell God your plans; He laughs, pats you on the head and sends you down the path He has for you. 

While I'm not going to give the specifics about the job until later I can give you some details about it now.

For this job, instead of driving south to the Bowling Green area as I have over the last 13 years, I will be going north to a town called Glasgow.  

I start with a 5-week training class on October 1. While this is in an environment I'm very familiar with, the job is going to be something I haven't done since I first started at AFNI in April 2000. 

My work schedule and other aspects of the job are not exactly what I wanted them to be but it's the door that has opened up for me. I will walk through and have faith and trust that it will work out for the best. My goals will be to have success and grow as a person. 
So with going back to work this coming Monday, I've got some things I need to get finished up here at home. In addition there are outside obligations that I have to take care of as well.  

But I just wanted to share with everyone who has been praying for me that God has patted me on the head and answered my need. I am thankful for and appreciate all your support. 

Now I must keep moving forward and make the most of the opportunities I've been given. I am thankful at the aspect of having a steady paycheck coming in again. 

With the way the economy and employment situation is in this country that's a good thing. So in that aspect I am glad my job search is over. 






No comments: