Friday, October 25, 2013

Building Brick Update

 About 3 weeks ago I posted about my Lego VW bus kit. When I wrote that post I had every intention of starting to build it that same week. Unfortunately, other things in my life have prevented me from doing that. 

Returning to work after knee surgery and writing a Christmas play for the children in my church are at the top of the list.

But just because I haven't started on the "big project" doesn't mean that I haven't been working with plastic building bricks. 

After my recent trip to the Lego store in Nashville, I know have enough Legos to make "Merry Christmas" in block letters to display this season. 

Now I know I did this last year but it was multicolored bricks borrowed from some of my sets to complete the sign. 

This year the sign will be made from only red and green bricks; and along with some mini figures from the Lego Series 11.  When I put it together and set it up on the shelf in our living room I'll post a picture so you can see it. 

Speaking of Mini-Figure Series 11; I completed my collection of the 16 figure set on October 15. I also discovered that Lego actually makes a cool way to show them off. 



I also put together the "fall scene" mini-kit offered at the Lego store last month. 



My favorite "build" over the last 20 days is the model I got during my trip to Dollywood the first week of September. 

It's a miniature locomotive made by a toy company called "Wange" (rhymes with "range").

I like it because it reminds me of the fun train ride we took while at Dollywood and the overall good time we had with our friends in Pigeon Forge, TN. 

One other note about this model. Because of the confusing way the instructions were illustrated I had difficulty putting it together. I had to start from "step 1" several times. I think the what turned it around was some advice I got from my friend, Mark. 

He and his wife, Patty, were about to leave after spending the evening hanging with us. Seeing my slight frustration with the model he humorously reminded me: "The wheels go on the bottom". 

Soon after he left I realize what I was doing wrong and completed the train. Believe it or not it had something to do with the wheels. 



This brings me to today. I finally decided that it was time to start working on "the bus". I put our card table and a folding chair up in our living room and spread the bags of pieces out.

I only completed 9 of the 115 assembly steps but it's a start. I'm already excited about the experience of putting this cool model together. 




For those of you who were lying awake at night wondering; there you have an update on my activity for October (so far) with Legos.

No comments: