Saturday, January 11, 2014

Embracing Your Inner Geek


Do you consider yourself a Geek? I'm not talking about being a "nerd" or some kind of carnival act. 

The definition of "geek"I'm referring to is the one most relevant in our culture today. A person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity. 

I believe that almost everyone has at least one thing they can "geek out" about. I am a geek about several things. 

Walt Disney World, Disney animated movies; Ventriloquism, music (60's and 70's pop, comedy/novelty and Christmas songs to be specific); and Legos are all sections of my personal geek kingdom. I am passionate and obsessed with each of them on a rotating basis. 

One of the ways you can tell something you're a geek about is that others around you do not understand the extreme degree of your enjoyment and knowledge about that hobby or activity. 

But let me assure you if you wear you passion on your sleeve and continue to share it with them; eventually you'll find that fellow geek who is just as enthusiastic as you. 

But if you don't find someone to connect with remember this. Because of the current social acceptance of and economic power that comes with being a geek;  finding other geeks-of-a-feather to "flock" with has become rather easy.  

With Facebook and Twitter leading the way, social media and the internet has become the means of finding others like you. For me, the main way of connecting with my fellow geeks is through podcasts. 

There are groups who meet on a weekly or monthly basis made up of others like you. Specialized conventions with tens of thousands of devoted geeks are held all over the country. Comic Con in San Diego each year being the biggest of all. 

My point being that while it used to be looked down on, the world now caters to geeks. We are a significant source of income for those commercially attached to our passions. 

So if your answer to my question "Are you a geek" is "yes, yes I am." Then I encourage you to embrace your inner geek, don't deny it.

Enjoy the object of your passion and go out and find your kind and share your common bond. Embrace your inner geek. You will be a lot happier.  



No comments: