Thursday, January 9, 2014

Last Laughs For Leno


I've written about Jay Leno and NBC's Tonight Show on this blog before. The tumultuous recent history and behind-the-scenes issues of this #1 rated late night TV talk show has at times gotten more publicity than the actual show itself. 

The most recent chapter in the life of the Tonight Show will come to an end in about 4 weeks. Jay Leno will end his 2nd run as host of the program just before NBC begins it's coverage of the Winter Olympics. 

Once again, Leno is not stepping down voluntarily. NBC is not renewing his contract. The popular host of the network's "Late Night", Jimmy Fallon, is taking over when the regular late night network schedule resumes. 

Unlike Leno's last replacement, Conan O'Brien, Fallon is not relocating to Los Angeles to assume his "Tonight" hosting duties. Instead the show's production is moving to New York where it originated back in the mid 50's. 

I am one of the millions of late night viewers who are loyal to Leno. I watch or record the Tonight Show every night it's on. 

After Leno goes off the air I don't know what my 10:35 program of choice will be. I like Jimmy Fallon but can only enjoy him over short periods of time. So my DVR may not be recording when he takes over the show. 

And although I occasionally watch them, I'm not a real fan of either Jimmy Kimmel or David Letterman.  

I still like Conan O'brien but I don't like a lot his guests. So my late night TV viewing future remains undecided. 

In the meantime I will continue to watch and enjoy Jay Leno's monologues, his interviews and his guests. 

Unfortunate January is the month for the last laughs for Leno on the Tonight Show. But given his "workaholic" reputation, I'm sure he'll return to late night TV in some capacity in the near future. When he does I'll be watching.  




No comments: