Wednesday, January 15, 2014

List Transition


It's been my constant companion, always with me, since I can't remember when. If I needed it all I had to do was reach into my left pocket and get it. It's been a source of information and organization. It's part schedule, planner, data base, and organizer. I'm talking about a customized excel spreadsheet that I call my "To Do" List. 

I've updated it's information and printed out a new one every week since "forever"; probably longer. 

I have become dependent on my "To Do" list. In the past when I've lost it I would go in search of it; retracing my steps until I found it.

In addition to what I wanted to get done on a day-by-day basis my list includes necessary and "want to" tasks for specific areas such as: church, home, ventriloquism to name a few. 

Lists of the books I want to read; ideas for blog posts, any jokes or ventriloquist ideas, Lego sets I want as well as a complete inventory of all my Lego sets in order by product# are also part it.   

Routinely, I make a new list every Sunday night for the coming week. At least that's what I did up until a couple of weeks before Christmas when our printer broke. Since then I have not had a printed "To Do" List.

Yesterday, I installed our new printer so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to start printing out my list again. I'm very comfortable with the convenience of having pen & paper at hand to make notes. 

The one problem I've always had with my printed list is the inability to remove items I no longer need or move and rearrange others. Printing on paper is not very format flexible. 

However, with the new phone I wrote about last week I now have apps that I can use to make the lists and change them as needed. 

Mostly for that reason I am working on transitioning my list to a digital format.  

I am pretty sure that there is a way to get my Lego lists to be digital but right now I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Those items may continue to be on paper until I can make that transition. 

I know for many people making this change would prove rather easy. But I've not quite yet exactly embraced modern technology. There are a lot of pros and cons that come with it.

I know I'm way behind the curve when it comes to instituting technology in organizing my daily life but at least I'm learning. 

Right now because of my obsessive-compulsive personality getting my "To Do" list into a place and format that I'm comfortable with is of great concern for me. 

But I'm sure I will come out on the other end with an even better way of keeping track of what I want "To Do." 









No comments: